If you're headed to New Zealand, then chances are you'll be getting into all kind of fun adventures—there is no shortage of activities to try for thrill-seekers, nature lovers and everywhere in between. If you're planning to do more than lie on a beach or explore a bustling city, you'll need to bring or prepare for more things when you're packing. Whether you're living out of a backpack or settling in for a few weeks in New Zealand, take a look through our handy guide on the important things to pack for your Kiwi holiday.
- Wool Socks
- Quick-dry hiking pants – good for anyone camping or hiking in New Zealand
- T-shirts and button ups
- Fleece jacket
- Lightweight jacket – layers are key!
- A nice Suit/Dress – if you need to dress up for an occasion.
- Tennis shoes – for people on the move
- Flip flops – for beachgoers and those sharing communal showers in hostels, etc.
- Water shoes – if you'll be navigating through streams, these will keep the shoes on your feet
- Going out shoes – if you need to be presentable for an occasion or a nice dinner.
- Sun tan lotion
- Insect repellent
- Prescribed Medicines – plus an extra supply and a copy of the prescription
- Bar of soap
Gear (mostly for camping/hiking)
- Small first aid kit
- Lighter and matches
- Water filter and/or iodine tablets
- Lightweight tent
- Down sleeping bag
- Trekking poles – personal preference for these
- Digital camera
- Laptop – optional depending on purpose of travel and your lifestyle
- iPod/Music Player – if this isn't already a feature of your smartphone, you'll appreciate having the music.
- Tablet/Kindle – perfect for long layovers or lazy days
- Alarm Clock – chances are your phone can take care of this, but is recommended if not
- Bank card/credit card/extra cash
- Travel insurance
- Soft-sided bag – great to have for day trips or small excursions from a campsite.
At the end of the day, if you forgot to pack anything, chances are you're going to be able to find it in New Zealand once you arrive. New Zealand isn't an expensive location for backpacking and there's always a helpful local or shop around the corner to get you the gear and extras you need. Use our checklist for travelling to New Zealand to help you bring the right amount of stuff, save space for souvenirs and pack lightly for easy transport! Protect your gear, your holiday and your health during all your fun planned activities with a top quality adventure sports cover.
Image courtesy of Flickr user Zach Dischner.