Understand What Isn’t Covered by Your Cover-More Travel Insurance Policy
Travel insurance is designed to protect you from various incidents while you’re travelling – but it doesn’t cover you for everything.
Before you decide our travel insurance is the best fit for you, it’s important you know what you’re buying.
Please read the relevant Cover-More Product Disclosure Statement, our Policy Conditions, and our General Exclusions below.
Unless otherwise indicated, these exclusions apply to all sections of the policy. They are listed in no particular order.
We will not pay for:
- any other loss, damage or additional expenses following on from the event for which You are claiming that is not covered under this insurance. Examples of such loss, damage or additional expense would be the cost of replacing locks after losing keys, costs incurred in preparing a claim or loss of enjoyment.
- claims arising from loss, theft or damage to property, or death, illness or bodily injury if You fail to take reasonable care or put Yourself in a situation where a reasonable person could foresee that loss, theft or damage to property, or a death, illness or bodily injury might happen.
- claims involving air travel other than as a passenger on a fully licensed passenger carrying aircraft operated by an airline or an air charter company.
- claims arising as a result of war, invasion, act of foreign enemy, hostilities (whether war be declared or not), civil war, rebellion, revolution, insurrection or military or usurped power.
- claims which are in any way related to ionising radiation or radioactive contamination caused by nuclear fuel or waste, or the radioactive, toxic explosive or other dangerous properties of any explosive nuclear equipment.
- claims arising from biological and/or chemical materials, substances, compounds or the like used directly for the purpose to harm or to destroy human life and/or create public fear.
- loss or damage caused by detention, confiscation or destruction by customs or other officials or authorities.
- claims arising from any unlawful act committed by You.
- claims arising from any government intervention, prohibition, sanction, regulation or restriction or court order.
- claims which in any way relate to circumstances You knew of, or a person in Your circumstances would have reasonably known or foreseen, at the Relevant Time, that could lead to the Journey being delayed, abandoned or cancelled.
- claims which in any way relate to, or are exacerbated by, any physiological or psychological signs or symptoms that You were aware of or a person in Your circumstances reasonably should have been aware of at or before the Relevant Time, if You:
- had not yet sought a medical opinion regarding the cause;
- were currently under investigation to obtain a diagnosis; or
- were awaiting specialist opinion.
- claims arising from travel booked or undertaken by You:
- even though You knew, or a reasonable person in Your circumstances would know, You were unfit to travel, whether or not You had sought medical advice;
- against the advice of a medical practitioner;
- to seek, or obtain, medical or dental advice, treatment or review; or
- to participate in a clinical trial.
- claims relating to, arising from, or exacerbated by, any Existing Medical Condition You or Your travelling companion has except where Your conditions are automatically accepted by Us or where You have applied for cover and Your conditions have been accepted by Us in writing and You have paid the required extra premium.
- claims arising from pregnancy of You or any other person if You are aware of the pregnancy at the Relevant Time and:
- where complications of this pregnancy or any previous pregnancy had occurred prior to this time;
- it was a multiple pregnancy e.g. twins or triplets; or
- where the conception was medically assisted e.g. using assisted fertility treatment including hormone therapies or IVF.
This exclusion will be waived if You have applied for cover and Your conditions have been accepted by Us in writing and You have paid the required extra premium.
- claims arising from:
- pregnancy of You or any other person after the start of the 24th week of pregnancy (unless the Cancellation Extension is applicable for a claim under SECTION 4: Amendment or Cancellation Costs only); or
- pregnancy of You or any other person where the problem arising is not an unexpected serious medical complication.
- claims arising from childbirth or the health of a newborn child whatever the proximate cause of the claim is. This exclusion applies irrespective of the stage of pregnancy at which the child is born.
- claims arising from You having elective medical or dental treatment or surgery, a cosmetic procedure or body modification (e.g. tattoos and piercings) during the Journey, such as any complication, even if Your Existing Medical Condition has been approved by Us.
- claims which in any way relate to Your wilful or self- inflicted injury or illness, suicide or attempted suicide.
- claims which in any way relate to Your:
- chronic use of alcohol;
- substance abuse, drug abuse (whether over the counter, prescription or otherwise); or
- ingestion of any non-prescription drug or substance (e.g. marijuana, ecstasy, heroin).
- claims involving, arising from or related to Your impairment due to You drinking too much alcohol:
- which is evidenced by the results of a blood test which show that Your blood alcohol concentration level is 0.19% or above. (The level of alcohol in Your blood is called blood alcohol concentration (BAC). As a point of reference, a BAC of 0.19% is almost four times the legal driving BAC limit range in Australia which is currently 0.05%); or
- taking into account the following, where available:
- the report of a medical practitioner or forensic expert;
- the witness report of a third party;
- Your own admission; or
- the description of events You described to Us or the treating medical professional (e.g. paramedic, nurse, doctor) as documented in their records.
- claims arising from the failure of any travel agent, tour operator, accommodation provider, airline or other carrier, car rental agency or any other travel or tourism services provider to provide services or accommodation due to their Insolvency or the Insolvency of any person, company or organisation they deal with.
- claims involving You travelling (during the Journey) in International Waters in a private sailing vessel or a privately registered vessel.
- claims involving participation by You or Your travelling companion (during the Journey) in hunting; rodeo riding; BASE jumping; hang gliding; motocross; running with the bulls; sports activities in a Professional capacity; free climbing; mountaineering using guides, ropes, rock climbing equipment or oxygen; trekking greater than 6,000 metres above sea level; scuba diving to a depth of 30 metres below the surface unless You hold an Open Water Diving Certificate or are diving with a qualified diving instructor; or, scuba diving if the maximum depth is greater than 50 metres below the surface.
- claims involving participation by You (during the Journey) in racing (other than swimming races of 10 kilometres or less, or running races that are marathon distance or less). (See Adventure activities cover for details of optional cover available to purchase and the terms that apply.)
- claims involving participation by You during the Journey in any adventure activity listed under Adventure or Adventure+ options to vary the cover. (See Adventure activities cover for details of optional cover available to purchase and the terms that apply.)
- claims involving participation by You (during the Journey) in motorcycling or moped riding for any purpose. (See Motorcycle/moped riding cover for details of optional cover available to purchase and the terms that apply.)
- claims involving participation by You (during the Journey) in snow skiing, snowboarding or snowmobiling. (See Snow sports: snow skiing, snowboarding and snowmobiling cover for details of optional cover available to purchase and the terms that apply.)
- claims which in any way relate to Your multi-night cruise, any multi-night cruise travel or that arise while on a multi-night cruise. (See Cruise cover for details of cover available to purchase and the terms that apply.)
- any benefit, or provide cover, if the provision of a payment, benefit or cover would result in Us contravening the Health Insurance Act 1973 (Cth), the Private Health Insurance Act 2007 (Cth) or the National Health Act 1953 (Cth) or any applicable legislation (whether in Australia or not) or where We do not have the necessary licenses or authority to provide such cover.
- any costs or expenses incurred if a government or public health authority mandatory quarantine or isolation order is imposed on You related to cross area, border, region or territory travel. This exclusion only applies to COVID-19 and applies regardless of You being diagnosed with COVID-19 or being directed by a local public health authority into a period of quarantine because they have classified You as having close contact with a person diagnosed with COVID-19.
- claims arising from or caused by COVID-19, unless cover is extended as stated in SECTION 23: COVID-19 Benefits.
- claims for costs or expenses incurred outside the Period of Insurance. This exclusion does not apply to benefit Sections SECTION 4: Amendment or Cancellation Costs, SECTION 8: Driving Holidays, SECTION 10: Resumption of Journey and SECTION 18: Personal Liability.
Ready to Buy Travel Insurance?
See which Cover-More plan is best for your trip
The information on this page relates to the Direct Cover-More travel insurance product effective 29 September 2021.