Home / Frequently Asked Questions

Tourist Information Center Sign

Frequently Asked Questions About Travel Insurance

Below you will find a list of frequently asked questions about Cover-More travel insurance. If the answer to your question is not on this page, please contact our friendly customer service on 1300 72 88 22.

icon Cover Questions

Yes, with Options or Essentials. As long as you are staying no longer than 12 months in an Area 1 destination (USA/Canada/Africa), and no longer than 18 months for all other destinations.

To be eligible you must fit the following criteria:

  • Up to 74 years of age at the time of policy issue
  • Australian resident
  • Travel must be mainly for business purposes and for an Australian company

If you do not fit these criteria, you may find that an Annual Multi-Trip policy may suit you.

In most cases yes we will. Cover-More Travel Insurance policies allow you to stay away for a maximum of 18 months.

If a Transport Provider overseas delays all pieces of your checked luggage for more than 24 hours, there is a provision to claim for the purchase of essential items of clothing and toiletries. Make sure you get a written report from the transport provider confirming the delaying and how long it was for. Details of the limits of your cover can be found in the combined FSG/PDS you received with your policy documents.

There is an option to increase your luggage item limit for an additional cost. Please refer to the Policy Disclosure Statement (PDS).

There is no limit to the number of accompanying children, as long as they are your own children or grandchildren. (NB: Children are not covered on any DA plans (Cancellation and Amendment for Domestic) - they must buy their own policy if they want cover).

For Corporate Plans - 6 accompanying children can travel on the Corporate policy as long as they are travelling with the policyholder.

Accompanying children are defined as your own children or grandchildren and under 21 years of age and not in full time employment.

Yes. Cover More Travel Insurance policies offer cover for snow skiing and snowboarding with an extra premium. Please note you will NOT be covered if:

  • You are skiing or snowboarding off-piste
  • You are racing
  • You are participating in a professional capacity

Before departure, you must contact the agent or broker you purchased the insurance from and provide them with a valuation or the purchase receipt for the item you wish to insure. The extra cover can then be added to your policy. Check the policy brochure for limits.

We cover many different types of sporting activities as long as the activity is not in a professional capacity and not listed in the "We Will Not Under Any Section Pay For" section of the product disclosure statement. We cannot provide cover for participation in any races other than on foot (i.e. walking or running).

Yes, up to 6 weeks on non-business travel can be taken per year. Cover is provided when you are more than 250kms from your home.

General exclusion 14 is the exclusion under the policy which relates to claims involving drugs and / or alcohol and applies under any section of the policy that a claim is made. Please note this exclusion is only applicable if it was Your intoxication that resulted in the claim.

"We Will Not Under Any Section Pay For:

14. claims involving Your suicide, attempted suicide, self inflicted injury or condition, stress, travel exhaustion, the effect of, or chronic use of, alcohol or drugs or the transmission of any sexually transmittable disease or virus."

This exclusion will apply to claims where a proximate cause of the claim is due to the consumption of drugs and / or alcohol, i.e. where the actual effect of drugs and / or alcohol has caused and / or contributed toward the claim. When deciding if using this exclusion is appropriate for the situation, we will consider the nature of the event that caused the claim: if it can be shown that the claim was the direct result of your intoxication, then the above exclusion may apply.

Conversely, if your claim would have occurred regardless of whether you had consumed drugs and / or alcohol, this exclusion will not be applied as your intoxication can not be seen as a contributing factor.

Any decision made by the claim department will be based on the information and documentation that is available on each individual claim.

icon Claims Questions

Our policy conditions state that "You must advise Us of any claim or occurrence which may give rise to a claim as soon as possible and within 60 days of the return date shown on Your Certificate of Insurance by sending a completed claim form."

If you are about to submit a claim and have exceeded the 60 day time frame please include a covering letter with your claim form explaining why you were unable to submit your claim within this period.

If you are still within the 60 day time frame but believe you may exceed it please contact our claims department on 1300 72 88 22 in order to alert them to the fact. If you believe you may exceed the time frame because you are awaiting documentation relevant to your claim please note you are welcome to submit your claim form in the meantime.

For many large scale events that occur around in the world, we will prepare specific advice which is available on our website. This advice will give you an understanding of the event and exactly what we are covering in relation to it. If we do not have an advice on the specific event you want to know about, please contact our office directly.

If you are submitting your claim via the Online Claims system, please select the "Other" option when you are prompted for the section of the policy you would like to claim for. If you are completing a paper claim, please include a written statement explaining how your claim occurred as well as the costs you wish to claim for.

Yes you can. We would prefer you to send a claim in within 60 days of you completing your journey as it will be easier to gather the information we need to approve your claim.

We have an Online Claims system available through the claims tab on the Cover-More homepage that will allow you to submit your claim from anywhere in the world. That way you can submit it when all the details are still fresh.

You have the option of scanning your documents and submitting your claim through our Online Claims system Link (accessible through the Cover-More home page) or posting or faxing your documents.

While we do not require the originals of your documents, we may require them at a later date for auditing purposes so we ask that you keep the originals available if we request them.

We aim to respond to all claims within 10 working days, but if we need to request more information from either you or a third party (such as your doctor or travel agent) in order to make a decision on your claim then your claim could be delayed. In these cases, we will respond within 10 working days from the date we receive each document that is sent to us.

In order to reduce any delays, please send in all the documentation mentioned on the claim form for your type of claim. If you cannot provide something, please explain this clearly on your claim form or give our office a call so we can let you know if there is something else you could send instead.

Our policies have specific item limits that apply to any type of luggage claim. While you can claim up to the Luggage section limit for multiple items that have been lost, stolen or damaged, each individual, pair or set of items (such as a set of golf clubs vs. each individual club) will have a limit as well. This amount varies between items and policies so you should check the PDS for your policy find out the exact limits that apply to your items.

Cover-More products do not offer a new for old policy in relation to luggage items. Where applicable, we will deduct reasonable depreciation from any item we compensate you for or from any item we replace through our approved suppliers.

If you have any questions about how the amounts have been calculated, please contact our office directly.

We always ask for receipts in the first instance. This is a policy requirement and provides us with documentary evidence of purchase, in particular details of cost purchase price, date of purchase, description/make/model of items claimed etc. If you do not have the receipts, please write that on your claim form when you send it in. In some cases we may be able to accept other proof like photographs or packaging.

For some expensive items though, we will not always be able to accept photographs or packaging due to the value. In these cases, you should try and obtain a duplicate receipt from the place you bought the item from originally or send in a bank or credit card statement showing the purchase.

If you have Home and Contents insurance, sometimes it will also cover you for lost items even if they are lost while on holiday. If this is the case, your Home and Contents insurer may be liable for part of the cost and will contribute to your claim.

If this is the case, we will always settle your claim in full directly with you before contacting the other insurer.

If a Transport Provider overseas delays all your checked luggage for more than 24 hours, there is a provision to claim for the purchase of essential items of clothing and toiletries. The type of policy you have will determine the limit that you can claim under this provision, so please make sure you have read and understood the PDS for your policy.

You will need to purchase the emergency essential items yourself and keep the receipts as well as a letter from the transport provide which shows when your luggage was supposed to arrive at its destination and when it was actually delivered to you.

If you need someone to act on your behalf for your claim, you will need to call our office directly or send a fax / email stating that you wish to do so as well as the name of that person.

Sometimes the size of a claim or the difficulties in gathering information can mean that we might use an investigator who can gather information more quickly and accurately. This will speed up the processing time of your claim and make sure that we have considered all factors before making a decision.

At times, we will be able to approve one part of a claim while we still need to continue to gather information on another part. Rather than delay the entire claim, we usually elect to settle the parts we can. This means that you will be financially better off more quickly while we continue to assess the remainder of the claim.

icon Medical Questions

The policy has provision for Emergency Dental Treatment you incur overseas if you suffer a disabling injury, sickness or disease. There is no provision for dental treatment caused by or related to the deterioration and/or decay of teeth or associated tissue, involving the use of precious metals, or involving cosmetic dentistry.

No, you can only have cover if you are a resident of another country travelling to Australia and have purchased an Inbound policy. You will only have cover for medical expenses incurred if the country you are from does not have a Reciprocal Health Agreement (RHA) with Australia.

All Cover-More Travel Insurance policies automatically cover some existing medical conditions for free (please see the applicable product disclosure statement for details). All other existing medical conditions will require assessment and if approved, an additional premium will be applicable.

In most cases you will receive an instant outcome on completion of a medical assessment. You can complete this with your agent, or if you do not have an agent, as part of the travel insurance quote on this website.

These are some of the existing medical conditions that are automatically covered subject to policy requirements:

  • asthma
  • allergies
  • epilepsy
  • hip / knee replacement
  • cataracts / glaucoma
  • gastric reflux
  • hypertension (high blood pressure)

For more information and a full list of the conditions and criteria applying, please visit our existing medical page.

icon Destinations & Plans

As Egypt is located in Africa, an Area 1 (Worldwide) policy must be purchased.