Home / Travel Insurance / Inbound / Inbound Travel Insurance FAQs

Inbound Travel Insurance FAQs

sydney harbour

We have put together a list of commonly asked questions to help you decide if an Inbound Policy is for you. Our Inbound Travel Insurance Plan is for non-Australian residents who are visiting Australia. This type of cover is available for travellers up to the age of 69. Your trip doesn't have to be limited to just Australia, though! Provided the majority of your time is spent in the Land Down Under, your other destinations can be covered as well. This means we can protect you from the moment you step out of your front door until you return home.

Read more about Inbound Travel Insurance here.

Want to see the answers to more questions? Check out our general FAQs.

What is inbound travel insurance?

Our Cover-More Inbound Travel Insurance Plan is designed for non-Australian residents who plan to visit Australia. Your Inbound Policy can cover you for:

  • Medical and dental expenses
  • Luggage and travel documents
  • Accidental death
  • Personal liability and more!

If you will be spending the majority of your time in Australia, we can protect the rest of your journey to other destinations. Medical cover in your home country does not apply. See our Product Disclosure Statement for the full list of benefit limits.

If I am an Australian resident wanting to travel domestically, should I purchase an Inbound Travel Insurance Plan?

No. Our Inbound Travel Insurance Policy is not suited for Australian residents. It is only available to people who live overseas. If you are an Australian resident wanting to travel domestically, our Domestic Policy would be better suited for you.

I travel to Australia regularly so can I get an Inbound Annual Multi-Trip Policy?

No. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer an Inbound Annual Multi-Trip Policy. If you plan on travelling multiple times a year to Australia, you will need to take out a new Inbound Policy each time.

How can I purchase inbound travel insurance?

You can purchase an Inbound Policy to Australia through our website. Get a quote online by following these steps:

  1. Enter ‘Australia Inbound’ into the field that asks where you are going.
  2. Select the dates of your first trip.
  3. Enter in the ages of travellers.
  4. Select ‘No’ when asked if all travellers live in Australia.
  5. Click ‘Get Quote’ to go to the next page.
  6. Include any options to vary your policy such as winter sports and motorcycle/moped cover for an additional premium.
  7. Continue down the page to fill in the rest of your details.
  8. Finalise your purchase.

If you would like more information on how to buy an Inbound Plan, check out our Inbound Travel Insurance page.

What is my excess?

You can choose your excess amount from either $0, $100 or $250. The higher the excess, the lower the premium you have to pay when purchasing travel insurance. The excess is the first part of a claim that we will not pay. Keep in mind that excess will be applied to each claimable event.

Are there any extra coverage options I can add to my policy?

Yes. Our Inbound Policy allows you to add on cover to suit your travel needs. You can add unlimited cancellation cover, rental car excess cover up to $3,500, and increase your luggage limits up to $4,500 per item. Hopping on a motorbike or taking to the slopes? You can add motorbike/moped cover and winter sports to your policy too. When adding these extras to your policy, the premium will increase.

Is it possible to get travel insurance for cruises?

No. We are not able to offer travel insurance to cover a cruise holiday on our Inbound Policy.

Is there an age restriction for buying an Inbound Plan?

Yes. Our Inbound Policy is limited to those under the age of 69. You must be under 69 years old at the time when the policy is issued.

Can I get cover for my Existing Medical Conditions (EMCs)?

We can automatically cover some Existing Medical Conditions (EMCs) when you take out an Inbound Policy. Check out our Existing Medical Conditions page to find out which medical conditions we can automatically cover and the coverage criteria. For further information, have a read through the PDS. We cannot provide cover for any existing medical conditions on an Inbound Policy outside of our defined list.

Will you protect my working holiday in Australia?

Yes. Our Inbound Policy is great for working holidays within Australia. You can arrange cover for up to 365 days. You just need to be within the terms outlined in the PDS. Emergency and medical expenses can be costly in Australia. An Inbound Policy can protect you from unforeseen amendment or cancellation costs, medical expenses, and lost luggage or travel documents. It is a simple one-off payment to give you peace of mind for your working holiday to Australia.

Can you protect my trip while travelling outside of Australia?

Your Inbound Policy will cover you for your entire overseas trip as long as the majority of your time is spent in Australia. If you decide to see other parts of the world during your trip, our Cover-More travel insurance team can still protect you. Remember no medical cover is available in your home country.


Ready to protect your trip to Australia? Get a quote for an Inbound Travel Insurance Plan.