Home / Travel Insurance / Motorcycle Travel Insurance
riding motorcycle on mountain

Motorcycle and moped cover for your trip

Add motorcycle and moped cover to your travel insurance policy

If your idea of a good time is hopping on a motorbike or moped to explore a new country, you may be interested in Cover-More's motorcycle and moped cover. This additional protection can be added to your travel insurance for an additional premium. Motorcycle/moped cover can protect you if you plan on driving or being a passenger on one.

Make sure you read the Product Disclosure Statement before purchasing, so you are aware of the conditions of coverage.

Every year many Australians choose motorbikes or mopeds to explore popular destinations like Thailand and Bali. This can be a risky activity. When you are abroad, road rules are different, traffic can be chaotic, and the bike you’re riding may be different to the one you’re used to at home. All of these elements can contribute to an accident.

Even if you are a seasoned rider, coming off a bike can result in costly medical bills and bad memories. That said, riding a motorbike or a moped can be a great way to experience a country. It can often be the quickest and the most efficient way to get around.

Like wearing a helmet, or sticking to the speed limit, taking the necessary precautions is the best way to minimise your risk. We can't protect you from an accident but we can be there if one happens. As a Cover-More customer, you will have access to 24/7 emergency assistance.

Get a quote online to see how affordable adding motorcycle/moped cover can be.

What do I need to know about motorcycle/moped cover?

Motorcycle and moped cover is an optional add-on you can include on your travel insurance policy. To have this extra cover, an additional premium will apply.

We want you to have a wonderful holiday! If you choose to ride a motorcycle or moped, we want you to be safe too. This is why Cover-More has clearly listed out the terms of this add-on cover. Even if you pay the extra premium, you will only be protected if:

  • Whilst in control of a motorcycle or moped you hold a valid Australian motorcycle licence or Australian motor vehicle driver licence;
  • You hold a licence valid in the relevant country;
  • Whilst you are a pillion passenger, the driver holds a licence valid in the relevant country;
  • The engine capacity is 200cc or less;
  • You are wearing a helmet;
  • You are not participating in a professional capacity; and
  • You are not racing.

Please keep in mind that no cover will apply for personal liability. This means you are responsible to pay costs associated with damage to the motorcycle, moped or property or injury to another person.

Get a free quote for motorcycle and moped cover for your next trip!

How do I purchase motorcycle/moped cover?

It is great you’re considering adding motorcycle/moped cover to your policy! You can easily select this cover online or by calling our team on 1300 72 88 22. When purchasing travel insurance via our website, fill in your travel details in the quote box and click ‘Get Quote’.

motorcycle add-on

On the next page, you will be able to select the add-on cover for Motorcycle/Moped. Do this by clicking on the button so ‘Yes’ appears. You can also choose other add-ons, adjust your cancellation cover and select your excess amount as well. Your premium price may adjust to reflect the additional cover you choose.

motorcycle add-on cover

Continue down the page and fill in the remainder of your details. Complete a short medical assessment online if you want to determine whether cover is available for your existing medical conditions. Finalise your travel insurance and get ready to hop on your bike to explore!

See how affordable motorcycle/moped add-on cover can be by getting a quote online.

What happens if I get injured while riding?

If you’re riding through countries such as Cambodia or Vietnam, you will soon realise how chaotic the roads can be. Add in wandering animals, the lack of road rules, and lower standards of vehicle maintenance – you’ve got yourself a challenge.

As a Cover-More customer, you have access to our 24/7 Emergency Assistance team. We can be there for you if something goes wrong. If you are involved in a motorcycle/moped accident, our team can provide you with the support you need. We can help you find nearby medical facilities to seek treatment, among a range of other services.

If you need help overseas:

  • Call us immediately on +612 8907 5619 if you are admitted to hospital or if you anticipate your expenses will exceed $500. This allows us to manage your case and determine the best options for your care.
  • You need help finding an English speaking doctor while travelling.
  • You need help for lost or stolen passports or travel documents.
  • You need local legal help.

It’s not uncommon for Aussie travellers to run into trouble when behind the handlebars of a motorcycle or moped – particularly in popular spots like Southeast Asia. You may want to get protection, in case you have an accident. Even a broken arm or a bad graze could cost you money that you’d rather spend on souvenirs. Unexpected medical expenses can quickly add up overseas.

Get a quote online for motorcycle and moped cover.

What if I ride a motorcycle/moped while under the influence?

Enjoying cocktails on the beach or at a trendy bar can be an enjoyable part of being on holidays. Going overseas can be a time to let your hair down, relax and enjoy yourself. But be sure not to drink drive or ride while under the influence.

You wouldn’t drink and drive at home, so don’t drink and drive while overseas.

Cover will not apply if you are injured or in a motorcycle/moped accident arising from being under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Consider organising a ride back to your accommodation ahead of time, or use a reputable transport provider to get you safely back to your hotel.


Can I choose my level of cover?

Every trip is different and we know that – this is why you can choose your level of travel insurance to fit your needs.

You can adjust the excess amount to suit your budget and increase luggage limits if you are travelling with valuable items.

Cover-More also gives you the option to select the cancellation cover you want, if you want to protect the cost of your trip and any prepaid deposits.

Motorcycle/moped cover isn’t the only add-on protection we have available! Did you know you can also add Winter sports and cruise cover to your policy as well? You can choose the right add-ons for your trip so you can travel with peace of mind.

Get a free quote online to see how affordable it can be.

What are the best motorcycle rides around the world?

If you’re an avid motorcyclist and want to see the world by hitting the road, check out these amazing rides as inspiration for your next trip. From glorious views to incredible roads, you’ll be making memories to last a lifetime.

Pacific Coast Highway, California

There is a good chance you have seen this road in a movie or two –and not just because it's close to Hollywood. Winding up the coast of sunny California, this road trip is iconic. You’ll find dominating cliffs, palm trees galore, and waves that will have you wishing your bike could carry a surfboard. Make sure you catch a classic Californian sunset and you've got yourself the experience of a lifetime.

Hāna Highway, Hawaii

The short but sweet Hāna Highway makes up a 103 km stretch of road, connecting Kahului and Hāna in East Maui.  It is another twisting ride, where the highway hugs the coast and the drive can be broken up to stop at one of the many waterfalls along the way. This scenic road offers unparalleled natural beauty. While you may enjoy the challenging turns that make for an exhilarating run, the scenery will be something you won’t forget.  

Great Ocean Road, Australia

Arguably Australia's most famous road, the Great Ocean Road is 243 km of coastal highway. You could do it in one day, or stretch it out to be a five or six-day adventure. As a popular road trip destination, you’ll find eateries all along the coast and plenty of pretty places to stop and stretch your legs. The Twelve Apostles are the main event, but the surrounding coastline is spectacular too.

Ceuta to Marrakesh loop, Spain and Morocco

A ride that will take you through a Mars-like desert into the bustling maze of Marrakesh souks. This is one for the adventurous-spirits among us. Starting in the Spanish city of Ceuta and ending in colourful Marrakesh, you will pass through the snow-capped Atlas Mountains, Fez and Rabat. It is one of the best ways to experience the shifting sands and bustling life of Morocco. For an extended adventure, ride back up to Spain to get some relaxing beach time.

Pyrenees Loop, France and Spain

If you like motorbikes, twisting roads, and stunning views - the Pyrenees Loop has plenty of them. It is highly regarded as one of the best places to ride. Not for a beginner rider, these mountains require skill and experience. Be prepared to stop a lot - not for traffic, there is barely any - but to whip out your camera. It’s a truly stunning ride not to be looked over.

motorcycle ride

Want more information?

Get in touch with us if you would like to discuss motorcycle/moped add-on cover. Give our team a call on 1300 72 88 22 or get a quote online.