Home / Travel Insurance / Adventure Travel Insurance

couple hiking in usa

Adventure Sports Travel Insurance

Protect your adrenaline-filled trip

Are you looking for travel insurance that can cover adventure sports? Let nothing hold you back as you do the activities you love! We offer plans that protect you while participating in a wide range of adventure sports at no extra cost.

Get the most fun out of your trip from hiking to bungee jumping or even sky diving. Cover-More knows that not every traveller is content with taking a sightseeing tour or laying on a beach. If you’re seeking an adrenaline rush for your next holiday, travel with peace of mind knowing we’ll be there if something goes wrong.

Check out our Adventure Sports FAQs page for more information.

You can add cover for motorcycle and moped riding. Add-on winter sports cover is also available if you plan on going skiing, snowboarding or snowmobiling on your trip. Get a quote online to see how affordable it is to protect your adventure holiday.

Activities we automatically cover

Your Cover-More policy already covers you for more than 40 adventure sports! Find out which popular activities we automatically cover in the list below. Don’t see your planned adventure activity? We may still be able to cover it. Call us on 1300 72 88 22 to find out.

Land Water Air
Abseiling Black water rafting/cave tubing Bungee Jumping
Archery Fishing
- Included provided not fishing in international waters if you're in a private sailing vessel or a privately registered vessel.
Flying fox (known in the U.S. as zip lines)
Canyoning (known in the U.S. as canyoneering) Hydro speed Hot air ballooning
Caving Ice fishing Paragliding
Dancing Jet boating Parachuting
Dog sledding  Jet skiing
- Included provided not racing or competing.
Sky diving
- Included provided wearing standard protective clothing.
- Included provided not travelling in international waters (e.g. kayaking from one country to another country) if you're in a private sailing vessel or a privately registered vessel.
Football Kite Surfing  
Glacier walking
- Included if just participating for one or two hours with an organised guided tour.
Horse riding
- Included only whilst leisure riding such as on a trail or through a stable. No cover for racing, hunting or polo playing.
- Included provided not travelling in international waters in a private sailing vessel or a privately registered vessel.
Ice hockey Sea kayaking
- Included provided not travelling in international waters (e.g. kayaking from one country to another country) if you're in a private sailing vessel or a privately registered vessel.
Mountain biking
- Included if wearing a helmet. Not covered for racing or competition.
Scuba diving
- Included provided that you hold an Open Water Diving Certificate or are diving with a qualified diving instructor.
- Included provided not using ropes or other mountaineering equipment (which would become mountaineering/rock climbing which is not covered).
- Included provided it is being used as a mode of public transport and not driven by the insured.
- Included but the surfboard itself is not covered unless lost, stolen or damaged whilst in the custody of a transport provider.
Working holidays Wake boarding  
Wrestling Water skiing  
  White water rafting  

All activities must be undertaken recreationally. Sporting equipment is not covered whilst in use.

What you need to know

It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of planning a holiday. Remember to read our Product Disclosure Statement to find out everything you need to know about our policies. Check it out before purchasing your travel insurance, so you are familiar with what is and isn’t covered.

Adventure Sports we don’t cover

We cover a wide variety of adventure sports, but there are some activities we can’t insure. Our travel insurance won’t protect you if you participate in:

  • Hunting
  • Racing (other than by foot)
  • Polo playing
  • Hang gliding
  • Off-piste snow skiing or snowboarding
  • Rodeo riding
  • BASE jumping
  • Moto cross
  • Freestyle BMX riding
  • Running with the bulls
  • Sports activities in a professional capacity
  • Mountaineering or rock climbing using guides, ropes, rock climbing equipment or oxygen
  • Scuba diving unless you hold an Open Water Diving Certificate or are diving with a qualified instructor

If you are unsure the activity you’re planning on doing is or isn’t covered, give us a call on 1300 72 88 22. We’ll be happy to discuss this with you.

Why choose Cover-More?

Every adventurer knows it’s important to have someone watching your back. That’s where we come in. Cover-More has years of experience helping people both at home and abroad. You focus on having the time of your life knowing we’ll be here in case something goes wrong.

As a Cover-More customer, you have access to our global 24/7 Assistance team. We’re only a phone call away if you need help with anything from an accident to a lost passport. Our international plans provide unlimited* overseas medical and dental expenses cover. But our benefits don’t end there! We can provide cover for your luggage, sports equipment (whilst not in use), travel documents and more. Get a quote online to protect your adrenaline-filled holiday.

High altitude trekking

About to lace up your boots and go hiking or trekking during on your trip? Our travel insurance can cover you for these activities at no extra charge. Even if you go hiking in high altitudes! Keep in mind that cover is not available if you use ropes or other mountaineering equipment. You must not be racing or doing the hike or trek in a professional capacity.

Popular treks we can cover include:

Make sure any hikes or treks you set out to do are within your ability and reasonable care is taken. If you become unexpectedly sick or injured during your trek, our 24/7 Emergency Assistance team is only a phone call away. Your Cover-More policy has an unlimited benefit for overseas medical and dental expenses*. Our travel blogger Michael shares his tips for dealing with the dangers of altitude here.

We will do our best to ensure you get the care and assistance you need while on your adventure holiday. Cover-More can arrange a helicopter to rescue you if deemed necessary by our team of professionals. Our customer Jean shares her experience of getting injured during her trek to Mount Everest Base Camp. Watch as Jean explains how we arranged her rescue from Mount Everest and got her the medical treatment she desperately needed.

Scuba diving and snorkelling

If your next trip involves taking a plunge into the water, get cover for scuba diving and snorkelling. We automatically cover these activities at no extra cost. For scuba diving, you must hold a valid Open Water Diving Certificate or are diving with a qualified diving instructor. These are great ways to see what’s beneath the surface at your destination. Places like Komodo Island, the Philippines and Fiji are fantastic spots to snorkel or scuba dive.

Choosing your plan

We know that no two adventure trips are the same! You have the option to choose a policy to suit your budget and travel needs. Cover-More automatically covers a wide range of activities. For Winter sports or motorcycle/moped protection, you will need to include these add-ons for extra cover. An additional premium will apply.

Cover-More has a range of amounts for cancellation cover to suit your holiday needs. You can protect your trip in case you need to cancel, as long as the reason falls within what is covered – See our PDS. It is also possible to adjust the excess amount for your travel insurance. Remember that the higher the excess, the lower the premium. An excess is the first part of a claim we will not pay and is applicable to each claimable event.

Protecting your sports equipment

Adventure activities often need a lot of equipment. We understand that you may want to take your own! If you’re skiing in Switzerland or surfing in Hawaii, you can take your gear with you. Our Premium international plan protects your sports equipment up to the value of $750. Just remember that no cover is available whilst the gear is in use. You must be able to provide receipts or valuations (less than 12 months old) for claimable items if requested.

Need to increase the item limits for your luggage cover? You may be able to do this by paying an additional premium. Get a quote online to see how affordable it can be.

man skiing

Winter sports cover

If you want to hit the slopes in places like Canada or New Zealand, add Winter sports cover to your policy. You will need to pay an extra premium. This protects you when you go skiing, snowboarding or snowmobiling. Whether this is your first time in the snow or you’re a regular on the slopes, accidents can happen. It’s important to have the right cover for Winter sports. Even if you add the extra cover to your plan, you will only be covered if:

  • You are skiing or snowboarding on-piste;
  • You are not racing; and
  • You are not participating in a professional capacity.

Get a travel insurance quote online for your Winter holiday. Remember to include the Winter sports add-on cover. Or call us on 1300 72 88 22 and we can arrange it for you.

Motorcycle or moped add-on

Hopping on a motorcycle or moped is a popular way to explore destinations such as Bali or Thailand. Cover-More can provide protection if you want to partake in this activity. Remember that you will need to include the motorcycle/moped add-on to your policy. This will incur an additional premium. With this add-on, you can hire a motorcycle or moped as either the driver or pillion passenger. It’s important to note that even with the add-on protection, you will only be covered if:

  • Whilst in control of a motorcycle or moped, you hold a valid Australian motorcycle licence or Australian motor vehicle driver licence;
  • You hold a licence valid in the relevant country;
  • Whilst you are a pillion passenger the driver holds a licence valid in the relevant country;
  • The moped or motorcycle has an engine capacity of 200cc or less;
  • You are wearing a helmet;
  • You are not participating in a professional capacity; and
  • You are not racing.

Check out the video below from Dan during his holiday in Bali. He provides some useful tips for riding a motorcycle or moped overseas.

No cover applies for personal liability. This means that you are responsible to pay any costs associated with damage to the motorcycle, moped, or property or injury to another person. We’ll take care of the important stuff like your medical bills in case of an accident, within the terms of our PDS.

Get a free quote online or call us on 1300 72 88 22 to see how affordable motorcycle or moped coverage can be.

Frequently asked questions

There is a good chance the activities you love are covered by your Cover-More policy. We automatically cover a wide range of activities including white water rafting, skydiving, bungy jumping and more! You need to ensure reasonable care is taken and all protective equipment is worn.

We do not automatically cover winter sports or motorcycle/moped riding. You need to purchase these add-ons for coverage to apply. Even when you pay the additional premium, you still need to meet the conditions outlined in the PDS.

Yes. We can cover your sports equipment but only when it is not in use. Travel insurance can protect items if they get lost, stolen or damaged while you’re travelling. Our Premium International Plan provides cover up to $750 for equipment. Our Domestic plan has cover up to $300. If you’re taking expensive gear on your trip, consider increasing the luggage item limit. You can do this by paying an additional premium. Keep in mind that you must be able to provide receipts or valuations less than 12 months old if requested.

There is no altitude limit imposed on your policy. Take reasonable care and know your limits and capabilities before going on a high altitude trek. It’s important to remember that rescue helicopters can only operate up to a certain altitude. This can increase the difficulty of a rescue operation. Rest assured we will do our best to assist you if something goes wrong.


Want to find out more? See our dedicated FAQs for Adventure travel insurance here!

Money back guarantee

Changed your mind? It happens! Cover-More offers a 15 working day cooling off period. If you cancel your policy during this time, our money back guarantee ensures you’ll get a full refund. To be eligible, you must not have made a claim under the policy or have departed on your journey. Make sure you contact us within the cooling off period to cancel your policy and receive a full refund.

You can still cancel or change your policy at any time before you leave home. But keep in mind that you will not be entitled to a full refund if it is outside of our cooling off period.

Get in touch with us

If you have questions about adventure sports cover, contact us on Facebook or via Live Chat. Alternatively, give us a call on 1300 72 88 22.