Important Information Regarding: Cyclone Gita
Issued: 20 February 2018
Cyclone Gita has moved through a number of South Pacific countries, including Samoa, Tonga and Fiji, impacting each island nation to varying degrees, and now making landfall in New Zealand bringing storm force winds and heavy rain that has affected flights across the country.
If you have been directly affected by this cyclone and need medical assistance, please call our 24 hour emergency assistance team immediately on +61 2 8907 5619. We further urge you to pay close attention to the local media and emergency services, including the DFAT smart traveller website.
Policies issued before 20 February 2018
Subject to the terms, conditions, limits, and exclusions contained in your Product Disclosure Statement (the “PDS”) and our assessment of your claim, there may be provision to claim for the following expenses if your travel plans are directly affected:
- Additional Expenses. If you are already on your trip, additional accommodation and transportation expenses if your travel is delayed for the required timeframes and up to the nominated limits as outlined in the Product Disclosure Statement.
- Amendment or Cancellation Costs. If you have this level of cover selected on your policy;
- Non-refundable portion of unused travel arrangements
- Amendments made prior to departing on the journey if the cost to rearrange does not exceed the amount it would have been to cancel the trip outright.
- Overseas Medical Expenses. If you have incurred medical expenses as a result of the severe weather, there is cover up the specified limits.
To submit your claim, please remember:
- To keep all itemised receipts for additional purchases or costs incurred
- Obtain a letter from the travel provider confirming the length and reason for delay.
- The easiest way to lodge a claim is online via: https://claims.covermore.com.au/
Costs that are not covered by your policy
- Depending on the policy benefit claimed and our assessment, there is no cover available for policies purchased on or after 20 February 2018 as the event is no longer considered unforeseen.
- Costs that are incurred where your travel is not directly affected
- Where alternate travel is at a higher fare class than originally booked
- Travel arrangements that have already been used, prior to the event affecting your plans
- Costs excluded or above the limits outlined in your PDS.
Important general advice
This information must be read in conjunction with the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) as certain terms, conditions, limits, and exclusions apply. These terms, condition, limits and exclusions are detailed in the PDS and in particular, we draw your attention to ‘The Benefits’ and ‘General Exclusions’ section of the PDS.
If you are travelling and require travel or medical assistance, please contact our 24 hour emergency assistance team on +61 2 8907 5619.
For any general enquiries regarding the event please contact our Customer Service team on 1300 72 88 22 between 8am and 7pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm Saturday and 10am to 3pm Sunday.