Home / Travel Insurance / Popular Benefits / Cover for Hospital Incidentals

    Travel Insurance: Hospital Incidentals Cover


    Cover for incidental costs incurred during your hospital stay

    Sometimes the unexpected can happen while you’re travelling away from home, and should you find yourself admitted to hospital, the last thing you want to worry about are incidental expenses.

    Thankfully, many of our Cover-More travel insurance plans include hospital incidentals cover.

    To find out exactly what’s covered, please refer to our full PDS, or read the below to understand more details about our current hospital incidentals cover.

    Ready to travel and need to purchase a policy? Get a free quote online or call us on 1300 72 88 22 to speak to our team.

    Do I need hospital incidentals cover?

    Unexpected illness or injury while travelling can not only cost you the holiday you planned, but it can also be costly for your hip pocket. If you have hospital incidentals cover and travel insurance, you may be able to claim for financial loss you suffer if you’re hospitalised overseas.

    While we never plan for things to go wrong, sometimes they do. And if they do, it helps to have an expert team there to assist you.

    What’s included in Cover-More's hospital incidentals cover?

    Should the unfortunate happen and you’re hospitalised overseas while travelling on a Cover-More travel insurance policy, we can provide cover for incidentals during your stay in hospital.

    This can include costs such as in-room TV, phone calls, magazines, books, food, drink, and toiletries.

    What Cover-More plans include hospital incidentals cover?

    Our three international plans and the Inbound Plan include cover for overseas medical expenses.

    Our most comprehensive Cover-More travel insurance plans listed below also include hospital incidentals cover:

    • International Comprehensive+
    • International Comprehensive
    • Inbound Plan

    No hospital incidentals cover is offered on our domestic plans or our International Basic Plan.

    Please note this coverage only applies if you’re hospitalised overseas because of a disabling injury, sickness, or disease during the period of your insurance policy, and the period of confinement in hospital is a minimum of 48 hours.

    You can claim for hospital incidentals up to $50 for each night you are hospitalised overseas, provided original receipts for these expenses are submitted with your claim and your claim is approved by our Cover-More team.

    Please note the maximum benefit limit for hospital incidentals cover under our Cover-More plans is:

    PlanBenefit Limit
    International Comprehensive+$10,000
    International Comprehensive$6,000
    International BasicNo cover
    Domestic Comprehensive+$Nil
    Domestic Comprehensive$Nil
    Domestic Basic$Nil

    Limits, exclusions, and conditions apply. Please check the PDS for full policy conditions when considering what travel insurance plan is right for you. To understand the benefits of our travel insurance, see here.

    What should I do if I’m admitted to hospital while travelling overseas?

    Are you a Cover-More policyholder who’s been admitted to hospital while travelling overseas?

    You must contact our emergency assistance team as soon as possible on +61 2 8907 5619.

    Our team of doctors, nurses, case managers and travel agents can provide you with emergency assistance.

    If you’re ill and require hospitalisation, if your medical expenses will exceed $2,000, or if you want to return home early, you or someone on your behalf should also phone our emergency assistance team as soon as possible.

    What does “disabling injury, sickness or disease” mean?

    Our Cover-More hospital incidentals cover only applies if you’re hospitalised overseas because of a disabling injury, sickness or disease during the period of your insurance policy.

    When we use the term “disabling injury, sickness or disease”, we mean a disabling injury, sickness or disease that first shows itself during your period of insurance (i.e. not prior to leaving on your travels) and that requires immediate treatment by a qualified medical practitioner or dentist.


    Ready to set off on a travel adventure?

    Find out how we can help with hospital travel insurance and more.