Cover for Cancellation Costs or Amendment Expenses
Amendment and Cancellation cover that you choose
Sometimes the unexpected happens, forcing you to rearrange your journey or having to cancel your holiday altogether. If you need to cancel or amend your trip due to reasons outside of your control, Cover-More travel insurance can help! By selecting a level of cancellation cover to suit your needs, cover is provided for reasonable costs associated with having to cancel your holiday or amend your travel plans up to the limit you select – as long as they are within the terms of your chosen policy.
Help protect the money you have spent booking your well-deserved holiday. Consider Cover-More travel insurance with cancellation cover so you can travel with peace of mind. Get a free quote online to see how affordable it can be.
The Premium Plan and the Inbound Plan do not automatically include cancellation cover however, you can add the amount of the cancellation cover that suits you. There is no cancellation cover available on the International Medical Only Plan.
If you wish to add cancellation cover to your policy, simply select an amount from the options available at the time of applying for cover. The level of cancellation cover you choose will influence your premium.
Typically, people look to choose an amount that will cover all prepaid travel tickets, hotels, tours or other travel related expenses for all travellers on the policy. The level of cover you choose will be the total amount of cover available under the Amendments or Cancellation costs benefit on a per policy basis and will be shown on your Certificate of Insurance. Please refer to our full PDS for details about our cancellation and amendment policy benefit.
Reduce the stress associated with having to cancel or amend your holiday if things don’t go to plan. Check out Cover-More travel insurance and get a free quote online. Do you want to speak with someone in our team about cancellation cover? Then call us on 1300 72 88 22.
Our benefit for amendment or cancellation costs
If due to circumstances outside Your control and unforeseeable at the Relevant Time:
- You have to rearrange Your Journey prior to leaving Home, cover is provided for the reasonable cost of doing so (We will not pay more for rearranging Your Journey than the cancellation costs which would have been incurred had the Journey been cancelled).
- You have to cancel the Journey (where You cannot rearrange it prior to leaving Home) cover is provided for:
- The non-refundable unused portion of all travel costs prepaid in advance including the travel agent’s commission (the travel agent’s commission is limited to the lesser of $4,000 or the amount of commission the agent had earned on the prepaid refundable amount of the cancelled travel arrangements).
- For frequent flyer or similar flight reward points lost following cancellation of Your airline ticket. The amount We will pay is calculated as follows:
- The cost of the equivalent class airline ticket, based on the best available advance purchase airfare at the time the claim is processed, less Your financial contribution towards the airline ticket multiplied by
- The total amount of points lost divided by
- The total amount of points used to obtain the airline ticket.
The maximum benefit limit for this section is:
|Medical Only Plan
|Domestic Cancellation Plan
*Shown on Your Certificate of Insurance.
^Combined limit of Section 2 and 3.
For approved claims under this benefit and the Additional Expenses benefit for the same or similar Additional expenses or prepaid travel costs over the same period, We pay the higher of the two amounts claimed, not both.
We will not pay for:
- Transport Provider caused cancellations, delays or rescheduling other than when caused by strikes.
- The disinclination of You or any other person to proceed with the Journey or deciding to change plans. Please also refer to our General exclusions and Policy conditions.
- Any costs or expenses incurred prior to You being certified by a qualified medical practitioner as unfit to travel.
- Anxiety, depression, mental illness or stress suffered by You, a Relative or another person unless referred to and diagnosed by a Registered Psychiatrist as a new condition (i.e. not an Existing Medical Condition) and:
- You are certified as unfit to travel by the treating Registered Psychiatrist; or
- The treating Registered Psychiatrist certifies that it was medically necessary for You to amend or cancel Your Journey to assist a Relative or another person.
- The death, injury, sickness or disease of any person living outside Australia.
- Any contractual or business obligation or Your financial situation.
- Failure by You or another person to obtain the relevant visa, passport or travel documents.
- Errors or omissions by You or another person in a booking arrangement.
- The standards and expectations of Your prepaid travel arrangements being below or not meeting the standard expected.
- The failure of Your travel agent, Our agent who issued this policy, any tour operator, transport or accommodation supplier or provider, person or agency to pass on monies to operators or to deliver promised services.
- A request by a Relative.
- A request by Your employer unless You are a member of the police force and Your leave is revoked.
- A lack in the number of persons required to commence any tour, conference, accommodation or travel arrangements or due to the negligence of a wholesaler or operator.
- Customs and immigration officials acting in the course of their duties or You travelling on incorrect travel documents.
- Or arising directly or indirectly from an Act Of Terrorism or the threat or perceived threat of an Act Of Terrorism.
- Or arising from an Epidemic, Pandemic or outbreak of an infectious disease or any derivative or mutation of such viruses, or the threat or perceived threat of any of these.
Please also refer to our General exclusions and Policy conditions.
Cover-More’s money back guarantee
You can cancel or change your policy at any time before you leave home. If you cancel this policy for any reason within the cooling off period, which is within 15 working days of the date of purchase, we will give you your money back. Our money back guarantee ensures a refund of the entire premium unless You have already:
- Made a claim under the policy; or
- Departed on Your Journey.
If You wish to cancel Your policy and receive a full refund, please contact us within the cooling off period.
No matter how perfectly you plan your trip, unexpected events can still happen. Protect yourself and the money you spent on booking your trip with travel insurance. Get a free quote online or call our customer service team on 1300 72 88 22 to discuss our cancellation cover.
The information on this page relates to the Direct Cover-More travel insurance product effective 19 June 2019.