Important Information Regarding: Iceland Volcano Activity (Previously Geldingadalir Volcano Warning) – Nov 2023; Dec 2023
Updated: 20 December 2023
After weeks of earthquake activity in the Fagradalsfjall area noted in our advice on 14 November 2023, a volcano in Grindavik, Iceland, erupted on Monday 18 December. The event has led to further evacuations and warnings being issued by local authorities.
Whilst the Keflavik International Airport remains open, flights have already been reported to have been impacted. This event does have potential to cause mass disruption of flight paths in the EU region should the eruption lead to ash clouds.
Issued: 14 November 2023
Residents in the southwest of Iceland are being advised to prepare for a Volcanic eruption after authorities have noted an increase in activity where civil defence authorities have declared a state of emergency in the region.
Although it’s not known where or when an eruption might occur, the impending eruption may cause significant impacts to travel where this would now be considered a known event.
If you become directly affected by this event and need medical assistance, please call our 24 hour emergency assistance team immediately on +61 2 8907 5619. We further urge you to pay close attention to the local media and emergency services.
For policies/trips with a Relevant Time before 14 November 2023
Subject to the benefits, terms, conditions, limits, sub-limits and exclusions contained in your Product Disclosure Statement (the “PDS”) and our assessment of your claim, there may be provision to claim for the following expenses if you or your travel plans are directly affected:
- Medical Expenses.
If you become injured during this event where you require immediate medical attention.
- Additional Expenses.
If you are already on your trip:
additional accommodation and transportation expenses if your travel is delayed for the required timeframes and up to the nominated limits as outlined in the Product Disclosure Statement.
- Additional accommodation and transportation expenses; if your travel is delayed for the required timeframes; up to the nominated limits as outlined in the Product Disclosure Statement
- There is no cover if your existing travel plans are not directly affected
- There is no cover available for any portions of your Journey that have been utilised
- Amendment or Cancellation Costs.
If you have this cover on your policy:
- The non-refundable portion of pre-paid, unused travel arrangements
- Amendments made prior to departing on the Journey if the cost to rearrange does not exceed the amount it would have cost to cancel the trip outright
To submit your claim, please remember:
- To keep all itemised receipts for additional purchases or costs incurred.
- Obtain a letter from the travel provider confirming the length and reason for delay.
- The easiest way to lodge a claim is online via: https://claims.covermore.com.au/
Costs that are not covered by your policy
- Costs that are incurred where your travel is not directly affected
- Where alternate travel is at a higher fare class than originally booked
- Travel arrangements that have already been used
- Costs excluded or above the limits outlined in your PDS
For policies/trips with a Relevant Time after 14 November 2023
There is no cover for claims arising from this event under your policy as this is no longer deemed an unforeseeable event.
If you decide to change your travel plans, we encourage you to speak with your travel agent or transport provider as soon as possible to minimise your out of pocket expenses.
Important points regarding cover
- Your insurance policy does not cover you for events that had already occurred at the relevant time of your policy/trip
- Your insurance policy does not cover you for events that you knew were going to impact your travel at the relevant time of your policy/trip
Free Extension of Insurance
If the relevant time of your current trip pre-dates this travel advice and your travel is disrupted due to this event, impacting your ability to return home on your policy end date, your policy will freely extend until you are physically able to return home as soon as it becomes possible.
Important general advice
This information must be read in conjunction with the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) as certain terms, conditions, limits, sub-limits and exclusions apply. These are detailed in the PDS and in particular we draw your attention to ‘The Benefits’, ‘Policy Conditions’ and ‘General Exclusions’ sections of the PDS.
If you are travelling and require travel or medical assistance, please contact our 24 hour emergency assistance team on +61 2 8907 5619.
For any general enquiries regarding the event please contact our Customer Service team on 1300 72 88 22 between 8am and 7pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm Saturday and 10am to 3pm Sunday.