Travel Insurance for Europe and the UK

    Woman with travel insurance for UK exploring London

    Source: Getty

    Find our best travel insurance for your trip to Europe or the UK

    Aussies have a hard time staying away from Europe and the United Kingdom – and it’s easy to understand why: Europe is jam-packed with beautiful old towns and delicious food, while the UK has stunning countryside and character-filled pubs.

    Unfortunately, it doesn’t matter if you’re visiting the UK or Europe on a honeymoon, family holiday, backpacking trip or for a cruise, things can go wrong when you least expect it. From lost luggage and missed flights to terrorist attacks and stolen smartphones, it helps to have travel insurance that’s by your side when you need it most.

    At Cover-More, we can help support you should the unexpected occur. With over 30 years’ experience protecting Aussies travelling abroad and a 24/7 Emergency Assistance team, our travel insurance can help you feel safer when you travel overseas.

    Want to learn more about our travel insurance cover for Europe and the UK? Keep reading.

    Ready to get a quote? You can get one online right now.

    Skip ahead to read:

    Do I need travel insurance for Europe and the UK?

    Whether you’re backpacking between cities, exploring quaint villages, soaking up history or soaking up the sun on glorious Mediterranean beaches, it’s important to consider safeguarding your trip to Europe and the UK from Australia with travel insurance.

    Sadly, incidents can – and do – occur while you’re travelling, and the right travel insurance policy for your trip can help protect you financially when the worst does occur.

    If your UK and European holiday is protected by travel insurance, you’ll likely have cover for several important benefits, including lost, stolen, or damaged luggage, missed flights, travel delays, emergency overseas medical expenses, rental vehicle insurance excess cover, and much more.

    This means you’ll have financial help and assistance support should you slip on rocks at the beach in St Tropez and break your wrist, miss your train from London to Edinburgh for reasons outside your control, or damage your rental car in Paris.

    Does Cover-More offer travel insurance for Europe and the UK?

    We know that every traveller – and every holiday – to Europe and the UK is different, so we offer three different international travel insurance plans to suit various trip styles and budgets.

    Once you’ve chosen the best travel insurance plan for your Europe and UK trip, you can also choose to customise your policy by varying your cover to include activities not already included in your policy for an extra premium.

    Our travel insurance plans for the UK and Europe:

    medical cross icon


    plane icon


    globe icon


    Cover to help you tailor your travel insurance policy to suit your holiday:

    For more information on international travel insurance plans for Europe and the UK, visit our compare plans page or get a quote online now.

    What benefits do Cover-More travel insurance plans include?

    Our international travel insurance plans provide many useful benefits for you to consider for protecting your trip to Europe and the UK. Our benefits and coverage levels vary across our three plans – all you need to do is find the best level of travel insurance cover for your trip.

    Compare our travel insurance plans and benefit levels for trips to Europe and the UK:

    International Basic 
    (Single Trip)
    International Comprehensive 
    (Single Trip or Annual Multi-Trip)
    International Comprehensive+ 
    (Single Trip or Annual Multi-Trip)
    Overseas Medical and Dental Expenses
    Overseas medical expenses
    Overseas emergency dental expenses
    Additional Expenses*
    Return of mortal remains
    Pet cat or dog boarding*
    Travel Services Provider Insolvency
    Amendment or Cancellation Costs*
    $Cover chosen^$Cover chosen^$Cover chosen^
    Cancellation Extensions
    Upgrade: If your non-travelling relative or business partner becomes ill, injured, or dies
    Upgrade: If there are complications of pregnancy from the start of the 24th week up until the start of the 32nd week (or up to the start of the 28th week for a multiple pregnancy)^^
    An act of terrorism
    If your pet cat or dog becomes ill or injured or dies
    Wedding-related cancellation
    Dissolution of your relationship with your spouse or de facto
    Luggage and Travel Documents*
    Phone or smart watch - limit per item•
    Camera or video camera - limit per item•
    Laptop computer - limit per item•
    Tablet computer - limit per item•
    Drone (with or without camera) - limit per item•
    Artificial limb, removable dental appliance, dentures or medical device e.g., hearing aids, CPAP machine - limit per item•
    Jewellery or watch or any other item - limit per item•
    Delayed Luggage Allowance*
    Driving Holidays
    Rental vehicle insurance excess
    Rental vehicle comprehensive cover
    Travel Delay*
    Resumption of Journey
    Missed Connections
    Special Events
    Hospital Incidentals*
    Loss of Income*
    Accidental Death
    Personal Liability
    Business Pack
    Business equipment
    Business equipment hire
    Alternative staff
    Business money
    Kidnap and ransom

    *Sub-limits apply. Please refer to the PDS for full policy conditions. 
    ~Cover will not exceed 12 months from onset of the illness, condition, or injury. 
    ^ Cover chosen applies per policy. 
    ^^Conditions apply if you are aware of the pregnancy at the relevant time. For a single trip policy, relevant time means the time of issue of the policy and for an annual multi-trip policy it means the first time at which any part of the relevant trip is paid for or the time at which the policy is issued, whichever occurs last. 
    †Liability collectively for Loss of Income, Disability and Accidental Death is $45,000 on the Comprehensive+ Plan and $30,000 on the Comprehensive Plan. 
    •Item limit applies for any one item, set or pair of items including attached and unattached accessories. You may increase these items limits if You wish. See PDS for full details.

    For full details of terms and conditions, limits, sub-limits, and exclusions that apply, please read the PDS before purchasing our travel insurance for your trip to the UK or Europe.

    Ready to get a quote? You can generate a quote online now.

    Source: Getty

    Should I buy an Annual Multi-Trip policy for Europe and the UK?

    Are you a frequent traveller? If you regularly travel to the UK from Australia – or to other parts of Europe and around the world – you may wish to consider purchasing one of our Annual Multi-Trip (AMT) Plans.

    Available on both our Comprehensive and Comprehensive+ Plans, an AMT policy can be an ideal choice for travellers who have multiple holidays planned over a 12-month period and want all their trips (up to a selected duration) to be covered under one policy. For more information – including and limits on trip lengths – visit our Annual Multi-Trip page and Annual Multi-Trip FAQs page before your trip to the UK and Europe.

    Does Cover-More travel insurance cover European cruises?

    Are you planning on seeing some of Europe’s most scenic cities from aboard a cruise? We don’t blame you – European cruise holidays are a fantastic way to explore multiple destinations across the continent with greater ease.

    Plus, with so many wonderful options to choose from – such as cruising the Greek Islands in the Mediterranean, the Norwegian fjords, or the British Isles – there’s a European cruise holiday for everyone.

    At Cover-More, it doesn’t matter if you’ve opted to choose our Basic, Comprehensive, or Comprehensive+ travel insurance for your European trip, if you advise us during the purchase process that you are travelling on a cruise of two or more nights, Cruise Cover will be included on your policy for an extra premium.

    So, whether you’re taking a short cruise during your European adventure or wish to cruise throughout your entire trip, you’ll need to declare you’re travelling on a cruise for cover to be applied to your policy.

    For more information on what cover is provided – including unexpected onboard medical costs and cabin confinement – visit our Cruise Cover and Cruise Cover FAQs page, plus read the PDS.

    Does Cover-More travel insurance cover snow sports in Europe?

    Winter is a magical time for Australians to visit the UK and Europe. From snow-dusted villages and vibrant Christmas markets to outstanding ski resorts with lively après ski scenes, a European winter holiday is often like a fairy tale for Aussie travellers.

    If you plan on hitting the slopes during your time in Europe, you can add our Snow Sports Cover option to your travel insurance policy for an additional premium.

    Our Snow Sports Cover can provide cover for any accidents or injuries that are sustained when skiing, snowboarding, cross-country skiing, or snowmobiling, possibly helping you avoid any unexpected medical bills and get you the help you need, fast.

    For more information, visit our Snow Sports Cover and Snow Sports Cover FAQs page. We recommend you read the PDS before purchasing our travel insurance for European snow trips to ensure it’s the best fit for you.

    Family with Travel Insurance for Europe enjoying Christmas Markets

    Source: Getty

    Does Cover-More travel insurance cover riding a moped or motorcycle?

    If you’re planning on zipping through the bustling streets of Rome on a moped or exploring the Greek Islands on a motorcycle, you may want to consider adding our Motorcycle/Moped Riding Cover to your travel insurance policy for an extra premium. Cover for riding mopeds or motorbikes is not automatically includes in our plans.

    At Cover-More, we offer two levels of cover for riding motorcycles or moped during your European or British holiday:

    1. Motorcycle/Moped Riding Cover: for engine capacity 250cc or less
    2. Motorcycle/Moped Riding+ Cover: engine capacity unlimited (conditions apply)

    For in-depth information on each level to help you understand if our cover is suitable for your trip to Europe and the UK, visit our Motorcycle/Moped Riding Cover page.

    Planning on only being a passenger on a moped or motorcycle? You’ll still need to include this option in your policy for cover to apply.

    We recommend you read the PDS before purchasing our travel insurance cover for your European trip, as several terms, conditions and exclusions apply to our Motorcycle/Moped Riding Cover.

    Want to generate a quote? Get a quote online to see how affordable protection for Europe and the United Kingdom can be.

    Does Cover-More travel insurance cover terrorism?

    Sadly, even though Europe and Britain are beautiful places to visit, terrorist attacks can – and do – occur in this part of the world. 

    If you plan to travel to the UK or Europe from Australia, our international travel insurance plans can help provide support related to acts of terrorism. All three plans provide cover for emergency overseas medical expenses and additional expenses if you are a victim of a terrorist attack, plus access to our 24/7 Emergency Assistance team.

    If you are travelling on either of our Comprehensive or Comprehensive+ Plans and have included cancellation cover in your policy, we can also provide financial support if your UK or European holiday needs to be cancelled because of an act of terrorism.

    To understand if any terrorism-related or general travel alerts may affect your trip or your travel insurance policy, we recommend you check our Travel Alerts section prior to and during travel to the UK and Europe.

    Who do I call in an emergency in Europe and the UK?

    If you require immediate medical attention or have been a victim of crime, please contact the relevant local emergency services:

    • In Europe, the emergency services number is 112
    • In United Kingdom, the emergency services number is 999

    If you need our support, you can contact our Emergency Assistance team 24/7 on +612 8907 5619. If you’re in the UK, you can also use this local number: 0800 892 014.

    Our expert Emergency Assistance team can help you in several ways, including if you need hospitalisation like our Cover-More customer Steve.

    Steve needed our team’s help when he slipped on black ice while in London, which caused irreparable damage to his hip. He required a full hip replacement in the UK, and then business class flights home once he was “fit to fly”.

    His travel insurance claim totalled over $20,000, but thankfully we were there to take care of the bill so Steve could focus on recovering.

    “Cover-More was so helpful from the time of Steve’s accident right through to when we arrived home. They were just so calm and in control throughout the whole process, which was a huge comfort to us.” – Kathryn, wife of our customer Steve.

    To protect your European and UK trip, get a travel insurance quote online now.

    Looking for Europe and UK travel tips?

    There is so much to see and do in Europe and the United Kingdom – it can be hard figuring out where to start.

    To make it easier for Australians travelling to the UK and Europe, we’ve put together a helpful travel guide for your upcoming trip. Read our travel tips here.


    Want us to protect your European holiday?

    Find our best travel insurance cover for Europe and the UK trips today.


    Material on this website is provided for informational purposes only. It is general information and discussion about medicine, health and related subjects may not apply to you as an individual and is not a substitute for your own doctor’s medical care or advice. The words and other content provided on this website, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. If the reader or any other person has a medical concern, they should consult with an appropriately licensed physician or other health care worker. Nothing contained on the website is intended to establish a physician-patient relationship, to replace the services of a trained physician or health care professional, or otherwise to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The views and opinions expressed on this website have no relation to those of any academic, hospital, practice or other institution with which the authors are affiliated. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Cover-More Insurance Services Pty Ltd. Never disregard medical advice or delay seeking medical care because of something you have read on or accessed through this website. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or emergency services immediately.